Do you pick your lip color based on your skin tone, or do you just choose what happens to look good on the store shelves?
Looking at the endless options of lipsticks, glosses, and stains, a trip to the makeup counter can get pretty overwhelming. Most of the time we just go for any shade we like, or a similar one we saw on a celebrity. But remember, what works for your favorite celebrity might not work best with your skin tone.
Get rid of this hit-or-miss habit with these tips on how to pick the most flattering shades for you.
- Identify your skin’s undertone.
Knowing your undertone is very helpful when trying to figure out which lip color works best for you. A quick way to do this is by looking at the veins on your wrist:
- Blue veins mean you have pink undertones.
- If they appear both blue and green, your undertone is neutral.
- If they appear greener, you have warmer yellow undertone.
- Know which colors work with your undertone.
Women with yellow undertones should stick to warmer shades. For pink undertones, go for shades with purple or blue undertones. As a general rule, everyone should avoid gray, ashy, or overly pale shades. These are universally unflattering and make the skin look sickly.
- When in doubt, choose based on your skin tone.
If undertones are too complicated, you can always stick to shades that typically suit fair, morena and darker skin tones.
- Morena skin is generally neutral, so most nude, orange, pink, and red shades are flattering.
- Fair skin is a great canvas for bold reds and deep colors. Avoid shades that are too light or have too much yellow undertones that can make you look washed out.
- For darker skin, go for reds, deep plums, and berries. Unless you’re making a statement bright lip, avoid shades that are too light or pale.
- Wear your lipstick with confidence.
If you’re in the mood for a bright red lip color, you should definitely go for it. Confidence is most important when choosing what to wear.
Find your perfect lip color with Celeteque DermoCosmetics Matte Lipstick. Get vivid lip color with matte finish that glides easily with no waxy feel. These lipsticks also contain powerful skin care ingredients like Vitamin E, Bisabolol, and Candelia Wax that nourish and moisturize the lips. Find your perfect shade here.